May 8th, 1953: The White House installs a putting green
On this day, In 1954 The White House received a major upgrade, a putting green built by course architect Robert Trent Jones Sr. on the grounds. The first green was first installed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower who was an avid golfer. The green was actually a gift from the United States Golf Association.
Sadly, it was removed by President Nixon and then later reinstalled by President George H. W. Bush in 1991. Bush’s green, was 55 feet by 35 feet, and contained nine separate holes. It was in a secluded area of the White House grounds near the tennis court, hidden from public view by large trees and shrubs.
However President Clinton moved it to its current location just south of the Rose Garden, a short walk from the Oval Office. The present green is a large green – about 2,000 square feet, slightly crowned.
It’s just a short walk, so Clinton would putt to clear his mind between negotiations, during the Bosnian crisis, or after the Oklahoma City bombing. -Robert Trent Jones Jr